ISCA promoting an age-friendly European Union
European Year 2012 for Active Ageing and Solidarity between Generations launches Manifesto
AGE (European platform and network of organisations of and for people aged 50+) and the Coalition of stakeholders (which ISCA is a member) promoting the European Year 2012 for Active Ageing and Solidarity between Generations launched a Manifesto for an age-friendly European Union. ISCA contributed to the document with important inputs concerning sport, health and physical activity.
The manifesto’s main objective is to create an Age-Friendly European Union by 2020. The document foresees the designing of new ways of organising our societies where everyone is empowered to play an active part in their community assuring, thereby, a sustainable future in Europe. AGE and the Coalition of stakeholders believe that it is crucial for EU to promote a society for all ages with equal rights and opportunities enabling the active participation and solidarity between generations in response to demographic change and aging of population. The Manifesto underlines this ambition deserves the support of the EU, national, regional and local actors to reach the objective of an Age- friendly EU by 2020.
Recommended Policy Measures
Policy measures and legal frameworks foreseen by Manifesto foster the following initiatives:
- • Implement active ageing strategies that take into account the outcomes of current and past research on ageing as well as the specific needs of vulnerable groups, e.g. migrants and ethnic minorities, people with disabilities, low-income workers and people with atypical working careers;
- • Challenge ageism in all aspects of life and promote non-discrimination and gender equality in all aspects of active ageing and intergenerational solidarity;
- • Create accessible workplaces and age- and gender-friendly working conditions;
- • Implement urban and rural planning that ensures accessible physical environments and access to information;
- • Strengthen social cohesion, inclusion and participation across the life cycle;
- • Guarantee adequate and fair health and social protection systems for all ages and access to quality services in order to ensure that the most vulnerable older people can live dignified lives, free of poverty and social exclusion
|EY2012 Manifesto (PDF, 0.19 MB)|