INTERVIEW with Jean-Claude Arnaud
PATHE leader from Associate Partner USEPName: ARNAUD Jean-Claude
Position: Vice President
USEP was created in 1939. It is one of the biggest school sports federation of France with more than 870 000 members (children and adults ) distributed in more than 12 000 associations of public schools in 104 departmental committees. USEP is a sports, educational and citizen movement .Its activities take place in and around primary public schools.
1. ISCA’s and ISCA's members philosophy is that sport is not just about competition and exercise, but also involves having a good time and making friends.
How do you see international activities such as festivals, exchanges and sports tournaments making special means of creating international understanding?
We have always preferred to speak of activities between associations rather than matches between clubs because we believe that these activities with sport, cultural and festive contents allow children to become sport citizens. But also we are very committed to the fact that they discover all the facts of the sport and plays several roles: as player, referee and organizer in the same activity. Boys and girls practice together: that seems also an important representative integration factor of social life. A good example of our model of organization is the »2nd Euro regional festival« that we are going to organize with the UCEC in El Vendrell in Catalonia from 15th to 19th of June 2009. We think that this kind of international level festivals and meetings, not only for teenagers but also for children, can bring together the youth from many countries.
2. What do your national Health initiatives include and what are the preliminary results?
In 2006, USEP highlighted the education in health trough the sports practice. Under the slogan “My Health in Games”, children organized and participated in a lot of forums of discussion and meetings. They illustrated as well as represents for them the notion of health and the way of expressing in sports activities.
This program was organized also in 2007 and 2008.
In 2006 with involvement of 73 departments, 3300 school associations and 150 000 children, in 2007 with involvement of 71 departments, 3100 school associations and 138 000 children.
After the great success of “My health in Games”, USEP decided to develop activities towards children from 3 to 6 years and organize in 2007 a new national project "The spring of kindergarten” with new materials »USEP HEALTH KIT ".
USEP developed also an educational tool aimed at children of nursery schools of the national territory, in the form of CD-rom accompanied by a box of pictograms.
3. Lack of physical activity among Europeans is significant and has become a huge societal challenge. What does your association plan to do in 2009 and further on to overcome this challenge, to promote physical activity and mobilize larger population cooperation?
Now, in 2009, we are developing the same principles (mentioned above) »Attitude 2« for children from 7 to 9 years old. And in 2010 we are planing to work on »Attitude 3« for children from 9 to 11 years old.
By promoting the practice of physical and sports activities, the global objective is to seek to develop the taste and culture of a balanced practice through physical pleasure and to help children to become actively involved in their own health.
We are consulting all the associations and institutional structures which are interested by health and sport and hope to organize before the end of this year a Conference. All together we will be stronger to develop sport and physical activities.
4. If we suppose that you would become a “Minister of Health and Sport” in your country, what would you suggest to SFA Associations in your country and to European Commission in the filed of Health and Physical activity?
The first act I would take could be development of physical activities in primary and secondary schools by adding more hours of sport per week. Physical activities are good for health and against overweight and obesity. I would also try to obtain a more important sport budget and to develop a big projects with SFA Associations on the health and sport topic on the national level.
To the European Commission I would suggest to give to SFA Associations possibilities to be more active in this field, to show what they can do and how good they are in »connecting people« from different culture background.
|Download the interview as PDF file. (PDF, 0.17 MB)|
INTERVIEW with vincent alberti Project leader from PATHE Colleborating partner
Name: VINCENT ALBERTI
Position: INTERNATIONAL PROJECT MANAGER
1. Within your specific national project and geographic location (country), what are the most important issues for the PATHE - Physical Activity Towards a Healthier Europe to address in order to better the health status, health promotion and sport/health activities?
We will focus our priorities starting campaigns and communicate with our products for all ages in order to increase the level of physical activity.
2. What partnerships/activities do you feel are necessary within your national project/country that would help further the efforts of ISCA and your Association with PATHE in providing increased and more comprehensive services for national organizations in the Health/health promotion activities?
Refering to the European Community`s White Paper ”Strategy for Europe on Nutrition, Overweight and Obesity related health issues”, PATHE could gather all national ”health promotion through sport” campains in a seminar, or for the next ISCA general assembly to all members. Presentations, discussions and good pratices from all Pathe experiences could be an interesting opportunity. Having a common document with all national initiaves.
3. What are the adaptations/innovations/changes in your association via PATHE that you have either implemented or developed that has helped provide a more effective or efficient health/health promotion/physical activities?
During the PATHE collaboration, we have appreciate the marketing tools for the Italian kid program, »Let's give us a Move«.. The mascot and draws, seemed to be very efficient and adapted to the target. We have started such a reflexion in our Federation to promote and enhance physical activity for the kid through this new approach. A work on the material with Professional graphics: elaboration of the logo and the graphic of each material.
|(PDF, 0.15 MB)|