DGI Danish Festival of Sports and Culture 2009
July 2-5, 2009 Holbæk, Zealand in Denmark
- The festival is the largest sports event in Denmark with tournaments, shows and workshops in close to 20 different branches of sport.
- In recent years the number of festival participants has varied from 15,000 to 45,000. At the festival in Holbæk we expect 20-25,000 Danish participants and a few hundred foreign sportsmen and women.
- The festival is all about sports, festivities and togetherness. There will be spectacular shows, open workshops and exciting matches. The recurring spirit is that getting to know other sportsmen and women is more important than winning any of the tournaments.
- The festival offers great joint events as well. One example is the opening ceremony on July 2, in which all active participants traditionally take part. Another example is the gala performance in which 3,850 young students from Danish independent residential schools perform tableaux of movement, light and sound.
- The festival is organized by Danish Gymnastics and Sports Associations (DGI) and the Danish Shooting Organization (DDS). The history and tradition of the festival stretch back to 1862, the year in which the very first festival took place in Copenhagen, at that time the only sport was shooting.
Visit the festival's website here.
Facts about Western Zealand and the city of Holbæk
Holbæk has 70,000 inhabitants and the city is situated less than 1 hour’s drive from Copenhagen, the capital of Denmark. It is surrounded by a beautiful and varied nature; sea, land, little islands, capes and fjords.
The beauty of the nature surrounding Holbæk is emphasized by the fact that many painters have been attracted to the area and that the area north of Holbæk is the largest summer house area in Denmark.
For more information, please visit www.visitholbaek.dkand www.holbaeknettet.dk.
Sports activitiesIt is only possible to register in one sport, and you can choose between the following:
Foto: Niels Nyholm
* Beach volley
* Team gymnastics
* Canoeing and kayaking
* Nordic walking
* Senior sports
In addition to the above, it is possible to try the festival’s open activities and workshops. There will be various ball games, swimming, golf, gymnastics, etc.
PriceParticipation in the festival costs 175 euro.
The festival begins with the opening ceremony on Thursday, July 2, in the evening and ends on Sunday, July 5, at noon. It is possible to register one accompanying person at the same price.
The price includes:
- Participation in one sport.
- Breakfast and lunch on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
- A festival back pack.
- Entry to events on the stadium, including the opening ceremony, gala performance and closing ceremony.
- Accommodation in simple camping or in schools. (Please bring mattress and sleeping bag).
Price for dinner Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday: 40 euro.
Registration and PaymentYou have to be above 15 years of age to register for a sport activity.
Registration deadline is April 15, 2009.
A list with the participants’ names, addresses, telephone numbers and dates of birth as well as the email address of the contact person is to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that invoices will be sent out shortly after the closing of the registration period. (April 15, 2009)
The participants have to organize their own transport to and from the festival. During the festival days we have arranged free shuttle bus transfer between the festival centre and the accommodation sites.